Skip to main content

IFEX Philippines 2013



I had a chance to visit the International Food Exhibition Philippines (IFEX) on Sunday, and was pleased with the number of local companies that joined the show, which ran from 16 to 19 May at the SMX Convention Center in Manila. There were also several contingents from Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea, Brunei and other Asian countries, but not as many as I expected. I was told the Taiwan group cancelled their trip as a result of the political tension caused by an incident between the local Coast Guard and Taiwanese fishermen.

While I did catch only the tail end of the four-day event, there were still a lot of visitors up until late afternoon. There were mostly local delicacies and snacks – banana chips, dried mango, peanut brittle, pork crackling, processed meat, seafood, noodles, as well as rice wine and teas. Fresh produce and a number of herbal medications in tablet and powder forms were on exhibit and for sale.

I was able to speak briefly with a manufacturer of stevia products, Glorious Industrial Development Corporation which has its stevia production site in Bulacan, north of Metro Manila. I have a standing invitation from the production manager, Ms Michelle Mediana, to visit. And I would surely like to see how they manufacture sugar alternative, Sweet & Fit.

Walking around the show floor, I saw Hermes, a supplier of the Kalliston brand of olives and olive oils. The company is planning to market the product in the Philippines. Mr Dave Pathan who was there from Greece vouched for the quality of the product. When it comes to olives, I need no convincing, but he made me try the product, and sure enough, they were truly delicious. I’ve never tasted olives – and olive oil- as good. It’s unfortunate that Hermes could not sell their products at the show. But I will be paying them a visit at their office in June, and I’m excited to meet with managers Mr Pathan and Ms Catherine Galvez again, and also to get a hold of those wonderful olives.

Many seminars were scheduled from May 16 to 18 at the meeting rooms, while cooking demos were held on the show floor throughout the four days. I wish I had enough time to attend some of the food industry seminars, so next time I aim to allot more time for my visit.

IFEX Philippines was organised by Center for International Trade Expositions and Missions (CITEM).

Comments