Skip to main content

Time well spent at interpack 2014



“I’ve been told it’s big, but it’s different when you’re already here,” a fellow journalist from Eastern Europe said. “I know!” Everyone else chorused in different accents. We and a number of other correspondents were at a table for lunch hosted by the Association of Packaging and Processing Technologies (PMMI). We didn’t know each other, but interpack’s sheer size never fails to break the ice. Yes, as usual interpack occupied 19 halls with each about the size of a football field. I’m tempted to use the word ‘ginormous’ – only because I will never be able to use that word to describe anything else related to my work, as far as I know. Me and my blistered feet know.



For the past 56 years, Messe Düsseldorf has been hosting interpack, a major packaging and processing exhibition held in Germany every three years. While I cannot compare it to previous shows, I believe the 2014 edition was as huge, and as curious. interpack sees a participation of 2700 exhibitors every time. This year, 175,000 came to visit.


Ringier Trade Media Ltd, publisher of FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal and Food Manufacturing Journal – Middle East & Africa, had a booth there of course. On the day before the show, my colleagues and I went to check on our booth. “It’s supposed to be here,” our sales director said, pointing to a spot and looking at the map.  We were all looking at a spot already occupied by another company. What? So we marched toward a lady in Information, who looked at the map and looked at the spot, and said exactly the same thing. Long story short, we found the booth an hour later. Did I say the fair was ginormous?

Ringier received many inquiries on those seven days, moreso on the last day when magazines on food, plastics, and other industries, flew off the shelves. Apparently people who came by were interested in China-made products and doing business in China. Well, China is Ringier’s expertise.

On my agenda, I had the pleasure of meeting with the representatives of several companies who were all excited about being at the fair, and who all found the show “very good”.  Among them were Eagle, Bühler, MicVac, Haas Group, and so many others who took the time to speak with the press on those busy days. I had a nice time with the tna group, as well. I marveled at the show of technology in every hall I passed – packaging, components, confectionery equipment, plastics. At the innovationparc, I appreciated the efforts that many organisations have shown to reduce food waste – a major theme at this year’s show. My time was well spent at interpack. No doubt 2017 fair will be more interesting. I can’t say I’ll be there, but I’ll advise you to be there!

To see the products and equipment on showcase at interpack, click here.

Comments